Monday, November 26, 2018

Good Fortune Mystery Quilt colors

The 2018 Quiltville Mystery Quilt along has started. You can join in anytime while it is in progress. It's free and fun. For now. The pattern will be pulled after the new year. I save the clues because I tend to be slow. Bonnie Hunter released her colors and yardage at the end of October. On black Friday she released the first clue. I'm just now working on my colors. Like I said, I'm slow. Well actually I'm indecisive on this one.

I love her mystery quilt alongs. I'm just extra busy this year. My hubby and I bought a lake house that needs rehabbed. We'll be pulling old paneling this coming Friday when Bonnie releases her 2nd clue. Argh! I'll be out of town and without internet.

Each Monday we link up so we can cheer one another on. You can see this weeks link up here.

Lake oriented and destined for a future project 

Watching friends pull from their stash and buy fresh new fabrics made me sigh. Then Bonnie released the 1st clue and I started seeing stacks of adorable little 4 patches. Sighssss ... I am weak.

Sea glass has captivated me forever. I will find a place for this fabric.

Bonnie's finished quilt is smaller than what I need. New house needs new quilts right? So I decided it must be bed sized. Rather than making extra blocks like I usually do, I decided to find a focus fabric and add a wide border around the mystery quilt to make it bigger bed sized. And it should go together faster.
Did you notice how I found a way to justify fabric shopping? Hehehe



Black Friday sales encouraged me to make the hour long drive to Joann Fabrics. I'm not a fabric snob. I'll buy decent fabric anywhere. Joann's was having 70% off their quilting fabrics. 70%!!! I got lucky and also finished several bolts which meant those remnants were half off of the sale price!Then there was a coupon for 25% off. I spent just under $150. I saved just under $300. I call that a win.



I will pull more from my stash for variety though I did pick up enough to finish the mystery quilt. And a little extra .... it made no sense denying that my fabric stash needed replenishing.

Focus fabric

This is my focus fabric. It is tiny, generic blocks of color. It seems boring, however experience tells me this mystery quilt will NOT be boring. I wanted a little movement without anything too distracting. I considered a big floral but didn't find a pleasing one.


Tying my colors in with the focus fabric means I deviated from Bonnie's chosen colors. Typical me :)
My fabrics are low density to balance the tiny pieces of the quilt pattern as well as the endless tiny squares of the focus fabric.
Her red becomes my pink.
Her orange becomes my yellows.
The blues and greens are still blues and green but different shades.
My neutral will be blacks.
This is very similar to my colors in Celtic Solstice. That quilt lives on my youngest daughters bed in her home. This one is destined to live at the lake. I may never get this color path in MY house, LOL.

Now to cut and stitch ... I'm excited!



* Update *
I squeaked in a little cut and stitch time after chores and before dinner yesterday.
Look!! Aren't they darling? Only a million more to go :D


** I cannot reply to comments for some reason. I'm researching the issue. Thank you to everyone who visited!!

4 comments:

  1. It's a start! I don't have redecorating a lake house to use as an excuse, but I also have about a million to go! Sometimes our priorities are just somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was some savings at the fabric sale!

    I love your colour scheme, and the pink and black 4-patches are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are adorable. I can't wait to see your finished quilt in that color scheme!

    ReplyDelete