Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Buttonhole Drama



The vests are done!! I hear the applause, yes, yes, I can actually accomplish something, LOL. Not without chaos though. 

I started the buttonholes on my sons vests using my handy dandy buttonhole maker foot that came with my Babylock Ellure. Amen for them trying to make my life easier.  

I got it set up. Unplugged the foot control and hit the start button. Stitch, stitch, stitch, beep. Check for thread break message. 
Hhhmmmm .... nothing is broken. I hit start again. Stitch, stitch, stitch, beep. Check again. Hit start.
Stitch, stitch, stitch, beep. Start! Stitch, stitch, stitch, stitch, stitch, stitch, beep. Start!!
Ack what is going on? 
I un-thread and re-thread the machine and start again. Stitch, stitch, stitch, beep.



OK it is just one of those things. I will persevere. I kept checking and hitting the start button. It's not stitching as pretty as it should but it appears secure. One buttonhole down. Another. All with the start and stop drama. 

Stitch, stitch, stitch, beep. Bobbin thread low message. Sighsss, it could be worse right? I finish that buttonhole and reload the bobbin. I hit the start button. 

I hear the whir of the machine stitching. And stitching. And stitching. Buttonhole done with no interruption. The light over my head flickered and finally shined brightly.  



I am such a dork! I was low on bobbin thread and the thread was probably twisted or loaded on the bobbin funky. I felt so dumb. I had rethreaded the machine but never gave the bobbin any consideration. 

Moral of this story - check all your thread. Top spool and bobbin.
I hate to dump the thread off a bobbin as it is wasteful. But it would have saved me a lot of grief.
Once the bobbin was refilled and the machine was humming, I was sewing happily along. Redfaced but so very happy :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment