Sunday, September 23, 2018

It's a burp cloth kind of year

These burp cloths were sent to Washington for a baby girl

My favorite project for new babies is burp cloths. They are such a basic item and the new mothers rave about them. It seems the store bought ones don't really absorb well. They didn't sell burp cloths back when I had babies! You used a cloth diaper or a towel. My grandmother made me 2 from scrap flannel and batting. I loved them, yet never made more. Where was my head? LOL

The new mother is a recent immigrant to the US. Her husbands ex wife wanted her to have a set. That is real love!

I have made several sets this year. Once someone has a set and uses them, they want to give a set to their friends. I don't charge. I want my stitching to be done with love. I have also taught others how to make them. They are small, simple quilts meant to be used for everything.

Lumber and fishing theme flannel for a boy

Last week I made a set with 'extra' flannel after making a lap quilt for the expectant momma. She asked for a simple patchwork quilt to snuggle under this winter with her first baby.

I love the new modern flannel patterns

She had a picture of a quilt. We went shopping at multiple places and could not find any of the same fabrics. None! The momma found some acceptable flannels at Joann's so I got busy.

Choosing the patchwork pattern

She really loved some deer head fabric and we found not even a fat quarter, so on the sly I picked up some plain black and white flannel to see if I could get creative. I printed out a few deer head and antler silhouettes and tried creating appliques. Two worked beautifully. One was too thin and a complete mess.
This foot kept everything smooth so I didn't snag the tip of an antler

I used double sided adhesive to attach the antlers and head to the block, then raw edged appliqued them down securely. For extra strength I free motion quilted them. AKA I'm insecure about one tiny line of stitching being enough. I will grow into applique techniques in time :)

Antlers for a baby boy

I'm quite pleased with the quilt overall. The momma chose minky for the backing. I love how it feels and hate the mess it makes when cutting it. I'll be using the shop vac to suck up the runaway fluff.

Time to quilt

I took a picture right before sunset as the next day we were expecting rain.

Finished 56 x 70 inches. Flannel top, batting with a minky back.

And wouldn't you know it, after the fabrics were bought, I found the fabric source of the dream quilt. It was a cheater cloth from Spoonflower! I never thought to look there. I decided to buy a yard to make a small quilt just for baby. A little something warm to toss over him in his car seat.

cotton cheater panel - so adorable!

I backed it in minky as well but skipped the batting to keep it lightweight. Oklahoma has very few bitter days and babies need layers, not one thick, heavy quilt.

I'm excited for baby Bentley's arrival next month

And that was the past few weeks fabric adventures.
What are you working on?




No comments:

Post a Comment