Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Good Fortune Mystery Quilt Part 3 Link up

Hello! How is your week going? I'm delighted to say the snow stayed south of us last weekend. Amen! I do feel sorry for the poor folks in Texas who got 10 inches of snow!! 10 inches!! That's crazy snow for Oklahoma and Texas.

Bonnie Hunter at Quiltville released Clue 3 of this years Mystery Quilt last Friday.
My heart sank.
The bratty, insecure little girl in me started pulling her hair and screaming, "Why?! Why?! WHY?!"
Half chevrons.
Oh my goodness, no.

Celtic Solstice chevrons

A few years back we made chevrons in Celtic Solstice. I messed lots of them up. LOTS. In the end though I completed the proper number and my daughter uses her quilt. However I vowed to never, ever make chevrons again.

My version of Celtic Solstice 

Sighsss I can be so ridiculous. My skills have grown. I have made several quilts since then. Why am I so afraid? They just another unit. Nothing to fear. And this year Bonnie is teaching a method to create little bonus HST's which we are using in this quilt. I hate waste so this is perfect. Now to get over my brain issues, LOL.

My weekend was busy so I worked on Clue 1's 4 patches. I'm proud to say they are all stitched though some still need pressed. Monday I put on my big girl panties and started cutting fabric for Clue 3.

The right side bows out
I think I can. I think I can.

The first unit produced a too small HST. Adjust my tape. I am using my 90's Baby Lock machine and I cannot move the needle over a tick so I am old school adjusting me. I can do this.

Next unit the HST was still a hair small but it can be used. More adjusting. More careful stitching. More pressing. Uh oh. Look at the HST above. Can you see how the right side green bows out? And the black bows down? I'm stretching my fabric as I press. I'm anxious and its showing.



Tuesday and Wednesday brought more success. My half chevrons were becoming dependably correct. My HST's were usually fine as long I pressed gently.

What was I doing here? Oops!

Though I did manage to let my rotary cutter go rogue, LOL.

Currently Clue 3 is 40% completed. Plus the other 60% is halfway stitched ... soooo I'm 70% thru the whole clue? LOL

What are you stitching?

Bonnie's Mystery quilt is free and fun if you want to join in. Ignore my silly fears and try it :)
I'm linking to the Monday Link Up post. Go see oodles of talented quilters sharing their progress. And a few goofy folks like me, hehehe.







1 comment:

  1. You summed up the beginning of my chevrons, bowing every which way! It was my first time making them and I almost gave up. Read a tip that really helped me and finished them! Can't wait for Clue 4.

    ReplyDelete