Thursday, January 24, 2019

Stitches and soup

It's been chilly here in Oklahoma lately. Some days are in the 50's but others ... bbbrrrrr! I love soup both for its delicious comfort and because it will cook while I stitch. Win win!

This weekend I made my favorite sausage cabbage soup. It's my version of cabbage roll soup and stuffed pepper soup. I tweaked it to fit what we want. If you don't make homemade soup, you might consider it this winter. It tastes so much better than the canned stuff.

No green cabbage at the store so I used purple cabbage

I toss some breakfast sausage in a pot to brown and start chopping veggies. An onion, a few carrots and stalks of celery. Minced garlic (or plenty of garlic powder). If I have it, I dice up some green pepper. I usually drain my sausage on paper towels. Then I toss everything back in the pot to sweat the onions and start softening my veggies. I cut a head of cabbage into 1 inch pieces until my pot is full. We love chunky soups. Add a couple of cans of stewed tomatoes, diced tomatoes or tomato sauce. Today I used 2 stewed and 1 tomato sauce. A spoon of italian seasoning, generous spoon of pepper and I put the lid on and walked away.

Tomatoes added

The sausage adds such a rich scent that I never smell any stink from the cabbage cooking. The tomatoes elevate this to a fancy soup. Later on .... voila! Dinner is ready!



This is hearty, low carb, low fat and delicious.

Now on to the stitching.

I've been plugging away on my Oklahoma quilt in between Bonnie Hunter's mystery clues. I'm finishing up an applique block then it should be time to assemble the top. Unless I decide to go bigger. We'll see.

The guitar blades tie into the play Oklahoma!

I debated if I really wanted to make the windmill. It's a lot of small pieces and I want them all stitched down snug so the quilt can be washed many times. I'm still new to applique in quilts so humor me please. Or reassure me if you have experience :)



Here is the final block. My other blocks are 12 1/2" unfinished so this was a block and half and needed borders to beef it up to fit into the layout. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment